Cork is softer than other hardwood. This amazing substance can compete and excels in multiple areas where hardwood fails. Suberin (a waxy substance within cork) helps to prevent liquid invasion. Also, that substance makes the cork flooring capable of fending off mold and mildew and keep wood rot from setting in. Therefore, you will get a cleaner and healthier living environment.
Cork comprises 50% air similar to honeycomb quarks air sealed cells. That construction retards the sound transfer. Also, the cork absorbs and disperse the sound waves which make the room quieter for sleeping. Moreover, cork helps to insulate a room which keeps unwanted noise out and makes the private space relaxed for taking rest. That’s why cork has become the best option on the market for reasonably priced soundproofing. Interestingly, one half-inch 12 millimeters of cork floating can cut sound over 20 decibels than other hardwood.
Cork is much softer and lighter than other hardwood. The reason behind is the honeycomb cork traps over 50% air within its cells. Therefore, it gains some impressive abilities. You can see those abilities both by touch and visually. The air within the cork flooring gives it the ability to compress thus giving it a cushiony effect.
Another benefit is natural warmth which you can notice when you touch. That natural cell structure gives the cork flooring transferring heat, cold and sound. Outside the cork barrier, you will get less invasion of unwanted climbs and more retention of the ambient temperatures you want. That’s why, your bare foot won’t freeze in the cold winter morning.
How much does cork flooring cost?
While installing the cork flooring, you need to focus on some points. Some points influence the cost of your cork flooring. Here we enlist some of those.
The following question you may hear from the floor installers.
- The length or the square metres of your cork flooring.
- What lies on your floor currently?
- The present condition of your flooring and does it need levelling.
- Your demanded cork surfaces for instance, panels, tiles or roll.
Also, you need to add the cost of protective polyurethane sealer. Note: That material needs to be used on the cork floor. The costing may lie anywhere from the following sections.
- Per square feet cork floor price range will be $4.00 to $8.00. The price difference varies on the thickness. Moreover, the installation cost per sq.ft will be $2.00 to $4.00.
- The standard cork tiles (300mm x 300mm x 6mm) price for 4.5 square meter will be $121.
What about the cost of other tiles & installation?
Vinyl flooring is economical and versatile. Moreover, its matt finish offers durability and designer-friendly design. You don’t notice any chips and scrapes because of the top-to-bottom color. Interestingly, the DIY of the vinyl project is easy.
Cost: Per sq.ft cost will be anywhere between $2.50 to $5.50. Moreover, the average installation cost per sq.ft will be $2.50 to $4.50.
Real Hardwood Floors
This type of flooring is impressionable and sturdy. You will find its best implementation in the living room and the bedrooms or anywhere which is moisture free. Caution: Don’t install solid hardwood in the kitchen and bathroom.
Cost: The average per sq.ft material cost of hardwood floor will be $4.00 to $8.00. Moreover, per sq.ft installation cost ranging from $3.00 to $8.00.
China and the South Asian countries are the main source of bamboo flooring. The color is like beech wood. You will find a lot of variation in the bamboo flooring. Note: Bamboo flooring may fade if the direct sunlight contacts directly.
Cost: Per sq.ft pre-finished bamboo flooring will charge you anywhere between $3.50 to $6.00. Nevertheless, per sq.ft cost for unfinished bamboo floors will be $2.00 to $3.50. Moreover, your installation cost per sq.ft floor will be $3.00 to $8.50.
Travertine Tile Flooring
This type of tile floor is a natural stone and found in mine. The look varies from geographical locations, like Iran, China, Turkey, Peru and Mexico. In terms of price, it is cheaper than stone and marble. One drawback is the stain will grow if the wine spills onto the floor.
Cost: The material cost per sq.ft will be $10.00 to $25. Also, the installation cost per sq.ft will be $5.50 to $10.00.
If you want a luxurious and modern, clean look, then ceramic tile could be a perfect choice. You can use this tile anywhere like in the living room or entrance of your room, kitchen, dining, etc.
Cost: Total installation cost per sq.ft of this tile could be $5.00 to $8.00.
What do you do to get long-term benefits from Cork flooring?
Though cork is a natural material, you need to ensure much care, therefore, it will serve you for many years under your feet.
- Whenever anything especially liquid falls onto the cork floor, you need to wipe that off asap. Otherwise, the stain will create.
- While cleaning your cork flooring surface, you need to use damp instead of wet mop.
- Ensure the cork floor surface doesn’t get direct sunlight. So limit the direct sunlight.
- While dragging the furniture to your cork floor, try to use felt protector legs. Hopefully, it will decrease the damage.
Cost of top cork floor brand
Today, you will find seven top cork brands. The price differs among those slightly. Here we enlist those along with warranty.
- Our first one is Cali Bamboo. You need to spend $4 to $6 per square foot.
- Duro design is another top brand which offers 5 years renewable warranty. This cork floor band cost per sq.ft will be $4.65 to $6.30.
- Up next, we enlist Wicanders. Per square feet cost of this brand will be $3 to $6.
- We Cork brand offers lifetime warranty. If you need this floor, you need to spend $3.60 to $8.30.
- Our last enlisted brand named APC is a bit more expensive than others we enlist. For this brand, you need to spend $4.50 to $12 per sq.ft.
What you’ve been missing
What is one downside of cork flooring?
One of the main noticeable downsides of cork flooring is soft. Cork flooring may upset those who want perfect looking cork flooring. Similar to the hardwood, this floor tiles may scratch. You need to ensure proper maintenance like laminate. Also, you need to keep the surface refresh similar to hardwood.
Do cork floors last?
If you ensure proper maintenance, the cork flooring will last over 40 years. A healthy cork flooring can resist mildew, termites and mold.
Is cork good for kitchen flooring?
The lifespan of cork flooring is incredible. If you ensure proper care and maintenance, it will serve you 40 years. Interestingly, the cork flooring material is durable which can resist abrasions and cracking. Because it is impermeable to liquid and gas, you will get its best use in the kitchen.
Cork comes with multiple amenities. Among those, easy to maintain, environmentally friendly and sound-dampening are few of them. Also, it offers temperature insulating, this feature will save money from cooling and heating bills. Interestingly, you don’t need to spend huge to install this floor type. The price is average. Hopefully, you get your answer of “is cork flooring expensive”.